Tuesday 20 August 2013

Why am I talking shit?

This post is being blogged in response to a question I have been asked a couple of times, and specifically in response to one particular person. It relates to my dedication to Humanure.

A very large poo
A very large poo
So to start at the start... what is Humanure?

Putting it simply, this is the process of taking all the output from human life (you don't call it waste because it isn't) and composting it into an amazingly fertile earth. This is NOT to do with night soil (which is untreated feces being spread onto the soil ala China and India) but is the process whereby many different inputs are broken down by a wholly natural process into a beneficial substance.

The biggest problem people seem to have with it is that it at least partially involves collecting your feces and then eventually putting the result onto your vegetable garden. This (to fecophobes - yes, there is a name) is too distasteful to even contemplate. For this reason Humanure is not a solution for everyone. It is, however, proven to be totally safe and actually probably safer than the standard western method of shitting and pissing into clean water and then throwing chemicals at the resultant sludge.

I have spent a lot of time reading blogs and sites about Humanure and the best one I have found is the Humanure Handbook which is available to read for free on the site, or very cheap to buy as a download. Even if you feel you are not interested in having a Humanure system, or any other type of composting toilet, I would recommend this book for the breadth of knowledge it will impart and the excellent way it is written.

Briefly put the Humanure system works as follows.

An attractive looking Humanure toilet
An attractive looking Humanure toilet
Your toilet has a collection system rather than a removal system, normal a large tub on wheels. Next to your toilet you will have some material such as saw dust and when you use the toilet in stead of flushing you will cover up your doings with the saw dust. There is a simple way of knowing if you have put enough covering; if it still smells, you haven't. The balance of excrement to covering is important as you don't want to have too much nitrogen to your carbon; the covering provides this balance.

Once a week or so you will empty the receptacle into your outside collection point where you cover with slightly more substantial materials such as hay or rice stalks and then it is best to cover with chicken wire to stop large animals from disturbing it. Once again the trick to putting enough covering is to see if you can still smell it.

A three zone outside collection point
A three zone outside collection point
Neither of the collection points should smell or attract flies and if they do you need to use more covering.

My pattern will be to have three outside collection points. I will fill the first one in year one, then leave it while I fill the second and third sections and only after it has been sat for a full two years will I bring it out to use as compost on my land. All the books suggest that you don't have to leave it for two years and it is safe after one year (or rather, it is safe after about 14 days, but fully decomposed after a year) however I'm going to be cautious I think while I learn.

You collect all your biological waste this way so any bones from the roast chicken, toilet paper, urine, cat and dog shit etc can all be collected and put into the compost bin.

This works well with a gray water collection system as your rigor in keeping biological waste out of your sink drain (which you should do anyway with normal western style sewage as no end of problems are caused by people just flushing everything down the sink) will mean that you can use all the water that comes through the sink can go onto the garden or through a drainaway system.

I will be aiming to plumb in a shower, a couple of sinks and a washing machine and that is the extent of the plumbing, and to take the output of all these utilities into my gray water soak away.

Waste not want not.

Lovely looking compost ready for growing
Lovely looking compost ready for growing
The picture of the toilet on this page was found via google docs on this excellent blog which I highly recommend you read.

9 comments:

  1. "...one particular person." Has a few questions. Will you ever have small humans to visit? Do you know how much fun a toilet is to them?
    When you're waist high in snow how are you going to get your "doings" all the way to the poop heap?
    Actually scraping it out of the loo, then cleaning the loo fills me with horror.
    Good luck to you and your poo. But how about having one flushable loo for guests? :o))
    I have been known to take a flushable portaloo to Le Mans, Glastonbury, The speed trials at Long Marston and The Kent Custom Bike Show, so maybe it's a thing with me but I do like a nice shiny loo :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I have no specific plans for small humans but, if they do, then training will have to be provided of course :)

      The (non smelly) poop heap site has already been selected and is very close to a door; that'll not be a problem.

      Yeah that is the bit which concerns me most but I don't think you end up scraping anything; you should start with a base of saw dust, and then use some water to swill and rinse post emptying...

      I have some standard drop toilets on the site, and will be maintaining the cesspit which these use, but I have no connection to a sewer (thank god) and have no plans to connect the cesspit inside the house.

      I understand, I hoped that maybe the picture of the lovely shiny loo might show you how clean and civilised it can look ;)

      Just so you know, E is very firmly of the same opinion as you :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, I think those with small humans must do their own clearing up after them. Nasty little things...

      Delete
  2. Worth noting that when collecting food scraps to take care over cook food. Cooked food breaks down differently and will attract pests, rate, and no amount of chicken wire will help. They can chew through a steel drainpipe so will make short work of chicken wire.

    My advice would be to incinerate any cooked food you have as waste with some wood to create a lush pot ash. Keep the pot as separate to your other compost as it has some specific helpful traits. Do some research on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent advice, thank you :)

      It's such a learning curve that any and all advice is really welcome.

      Delete
  3. This is all kind of fascinating. I quite like the 'Good Life' style of this, but in practice, I think I'd hate it. It's good that you're going to try it though. Nothing wasted, and all very efficient in terms of decent compost to grow stuff. My mind works oddly though, so now it's providing me with an image of you eating plants you've grown in your own shit. Then again, we eat plant now that have been grown in all kinds of chemicals, I suppose you will at least know what's in your own shit, as you're growing it all yourself anyway. Anyway. It's fascinating. I don't have much more to add that doesn't sound a bit bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know a lot of people have trouble with the fact that a component in humanure is human shit. Even I am a little unsure and that is why I think I will be leaving it for two whole years; to give it plenty of time to turn to soil.

      Thanks for the comment and you can be sure I will be blogging about the actuality as well :) I hope I find I can keep it up!

      Delete
  4. I've worked as a head gardener on two large private estates and we used prodigious amounts of manure - sheep, horse, cow, pig and chicken shit to grow 3 acres of organic vegetables and no one batted an eylid. Humanure is no different - once it's composted. There is an important proviso to that - if your partner is using the contraceptive pill then the humanure could have a very high estrogen content - great for growing tomatoes incidentally but can have strange effects on the male of the species! Enjoying your blog and reading through it from beginning to end. Cheers Kevin

    ReplyDelete